We are investigating several aspects of the fabrication of metal matrix composites. Pressure infiltration and compocasting techniques are being used. We are also studying in detail the characteristics of the infiltration process, capillary and Darcy laws are being tested. The surface tension of liquid metals (mainly aluminium) are being measured under several atmospheres.
1. "Abrasive wear resistance of aluminum alloys/ceramic particulates composites", C. García-Cordovilla, J. Narciso and E. Louis, Wear, 192, 170-177 (1996).
2. "Pressure infiltration of packed Al2O3 particulates by pure silver", J. Narciso, C. García-Cordovilla and E. Louis, Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia, 36, 363-368 (1997).
3. "Pressure Infiltration in a reactive system: packed SiC particulates infiltrated by pure silver with dissolved oxygen", J. Narciso, C. García-Cordovilla and E. Louis, Acta Materialia, 45, 5111-5118 (1997).
4. "Fabrication of ceramic/ceramic composites from aluminum/ceramic composites produced by pressure infiltration", F.J. Narciso-Romero, C. García-Cordovilla, E. Louis and F. Rodriguez-Reinoso, Scripta Materialia, 38, 623-629 (1998).
5. "Pressure infiltration of packed ceramic particulate by liquid metals", C. García-Cordovilla, E. Louis and F.J. Narciso-Romero, Acta Materialia (Acta Overview), 47, 4461-4479 (1999).
6. "Interfacial Tensions and threshold pressure for infiltration of packed ceramic particulate by Al-Sn and Al-Pb alloys", C. García-Cordovilla, J. Narciso, R. Arpón and E. Louis, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. in press.
7. "Effects of nitrogen on the surface tension of pure Aluminium", R.A. Saravanan, J.M. Molina, J. Narciso, C. García-Cordovilla and E. Louis, Scripta Materialia, in press.
Department of Applied Physics
Facultad de Ciencias, Fase II - Planta 2ª Universidad de Alicante Carretera de San Vicente del Raspeig s/n 03690 San Vicente del Raspeig Alicante (Spain)